cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Restructuring directory structure[was [Vote] Block artifact directory structure]
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:32:04 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:

> 2. Some components (like CocoonOverridePropertyConfigurer, which has
> already been fixed) use the Settings object but happily fallback to
> default mode when settings object is not available. The result of such
> situation is that a bean that has been incorrectly dependence injected
> uses other running mode than you might think. Beans using running mode
> should simply throw if they cannot determine one.
>
> I am probably picky about this but hey - you're the ones I've learnt my
> values from :)

:) Actually I'm not sure - now, the reason why I wrote the code like
this is for unit testing. You can write a unit test for the configurer
which does not need to setup any dependency.
But the more I think about it, the more I agree with you: we should
raise an exception when the settings object is not set rather than
falling back to some default value. This comes with the cost to setup a
settings object (or a mock) for testing, but makes the code safer.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler - Chief Architect
http://www.s-und-n.de