cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject [2.2] Runtime deployment
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 22:17:11 GMT
With the help from Leszek we now have a Cocoon version in trunk which
does not need any deployment plugin. This means you can just drop the
jar files into WEB-INF/lib and are done! So it doesn't matter if you're
using Maven, Ant or some other strange tool :)
All you need is the main Spring applicationContext.xml with our two
elements for setting up Cocoon and the Avalon bridge.

So, what has changed?
We now load all configuration files directly from within the jar files,
so all files in META-INF/cocoon/avalon, META-INF/cocoon/spring and
META-INF/cocoon/properties are applied at runtime without the need to
extract these files.

Currently on startup of Cocoon, all COB-INF directories are extracted to
{webapp-directory}/blocks/{block-name}.

What is missing?
1. With the changes from above, Cocoon does not run as an unexpanded war
file anymore. So I think we should extract the COB-INF directory into
the temporary directory and mount the blocks from there. This should be
very simple to change.
2. We should check on startup if we need to extract a COB-INF directory
again. If anyone has a good idea how to check this without too much work
would be great.
3. Update to our deployer plugins (and perhaps archetypes) - we changed
some directory names and obviously the deployment has changed. So we
should check if all our plugins, development procedures, archetypes etc.
are still working. I just tested the core-webapp.

Once we have solved these three issues we should release a RC-1 asap.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler - Chief Architect
http://www.s-und-n.de