cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject The Cocoon documentation: a lot has happened here
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 07:47:29 GMT

2 weeks ago, Arje posted a long list of things that need to be improved with our
website and documentation. I can't say that all the things are resolved but
Helma and I have made good progress:

  - Following the split up of Cocoon (the code) we also split up the
    documentation into much smaller pieces. The rule is that each deployment
    unit has it's own documentation.

  - Publishing our docs to cocoon.apache.org will be 4 steps that have to be
    performed at the shell at cocoon.zones.apche.org (see
    http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/1201.html) Thanks Vadim for
    your help with that!

    I think that's a good compromise between fast turn-around-cycles and
    following the policy of having all our website content in SVN.

  - The Daisy Maven plugin is in place and is able to extract the content of
    our CMS.

  - The documentation is automatically exported to
    http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/ every 4 hours.

    This export can also be triggered off from the Continuum web app.
    Go to http://cocoon.zones.apache.org:12000/continuum/servlet/continuum and
    rebuild the "$cdcos" project.

  - Ross and I added news items to the homepage. As Ross explained, this list
    is created dynamically by a query.

At http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/1201.html you can find how-tos
(about adding and publishing docs) and an overview of how the documentation
system works.

                                    - o -

In my opinion the technical problems are mostly solved. The next step is filling
the CMS with content. In particular we should focus on two sites

  - cdocs-main-site (http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs-site-main/)
  - cdocs-core (http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs-core/)

Then it's time to publish the new docs. WDYT?

Of course, this shouldn't prevent you from working on the many other sites
(forms, template, flowscript etc.) if you think that your work is more efficient
there.

                                    - o -

Helma will also work on a new flashy design for our site, though we both don't
think that this effort should block publishing the docs using the "well-known"
Maven skin as soon as the content is good enough. Does anybody disagree?

                                    - o -

As many people agreed that it is *very important* to have good documentation,
Helma and I hope that others join us. Don't hesitate if you think that all this
stuff is complicated. It's definitly not! Just go to
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/, choose the site that you want to improve
and do it!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc