cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: Release roadmap
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2006 21:14:32 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>>> IMHO this is too fast. We did not receive any feedback on the 2.2 stuff
>>> from any non-committer (only people working with committers). We should
>>> run through some release candidates first, which gives the users the
>>> impression of having something at least testable. If we want to push the
>>> final 2.2 release now and if the current trunk is feature complete, we
>>> should do a RC 1 release (not another milestone) and see how it is
>>> accepted. With M2 soon and final release only one month later I feel
>>> like flying blind ...
>> +1. let's have some more milestone releases and release candiates before we make

>> the first official release because all contracts that we establish with an
>> official release _are_ carved in stone. And as we know it takes a long time to
>> get rid of badly designed/implemented things again.
>>
> Yes, of course I agree with this in general, but personally I doubt that
> releasing a 2.2-RCx will give us more feedback (perhaps I'm too
> pessimistic on this).

This could work if we provided binary distributions with NO need to
fight maven. Then all you need to do is to create a webapp, copy cocoon
jars and put own resources into appropriate classpath paths.

My feeling is 2.2 is far from being stable. I am rebuilding cocoon at
least once a week to get some bugs resolves/new features working. Cocoon
core and deployer have changed so frequently last weeks/months that even
me constantly rebuilding and updating all my projects manually lost
track few times. What drives me nuts is that fact that webapps created
with previous deployer versions loose compatibility with latest core).

My coworkers are quite desperate about cocoon: hardly any of them
understand the errors webapp spits out when a new build is introduced.

On the bright side: Even thoughs some things still are a little bit
shaky my every new project is using the lastest 2.2 in production and I
do not notice and major failures.