cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Improving display of exceptions in blocks framework - ResourceReader
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:42:34 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
> Alexander Klimetschek skrev:
>> the ResourceReader must throw any IOException caught in generate()
>> (line 349). This is currently not done because it looks like there are
>> cases, where a failed generate should be silently ignored. The debug
>> message says "Received an IOException, assuming client severed
>> connection on purpose".
>>
>> Is this true? Or would it be no harm to throw the exception at that
>> place to trigger the standard "Problem in creating the Request" page?
>
> No idea why the code just swallow the exception. IMO it is a bad idea.
> If there is any sources that throw Exceptions without meaning anything
> with it, it should be fixed there instead.
>
> I would assume that it fixes some issue but couldn't find any
> information about it in the SVN log.
>
> Anyone who know anything about it?

IIRC, when client terminates the connection prematurely (stops the download
midway), you would want to:

  *) stop request processing
  *) do not show error page

While this code is probably still working for non-caching pipelines (reader
writing directly to socket), I'm not sure that this particular scenario is still
possible with caching pipeline (where reader would write to in memory buffer).

See also CocoonServlet (2.1) lines 1183-1198.

Vadim