cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Deployment and the maven plugin
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:56:35 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler <at> apache.org> writes:
>
>> So the final part is how to avoid the maven deploy plugin? We recently
>> discussed a possible solution which works using some classloader
>> functionality, some new protocols and so on and does not require any
>> extraction of files during deployment or runtime. Cocoon would be able
>> to serve everything directly from the jar files.
>> While this is a very interesting solution, it has some problems: first
>> and most important: we have to develop it. As we are lacking resources,
>> this might take too much time until we have a final version.
>
> Was this a discussion on the mailing list? Maybe I just haven't read that thread
> yet. Or was this offline at Cocoon GT or similar? Can you give some links or
> summarize it here please? What's needed more than resource:/?

We started the discussion at the GT and then continued/summarized it in
this mailing list.
I greped some pointers from another discussion on this list:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=116035392308084&w=2

>> then?
>> No, we discussed having a configuration file with associations between
>> block name and block path, that overrides the blocks in the classpath.
>> By using that you can point to your block under development.

You need more than the resource procotol as for example you have to scan
through the archive for all *.xml files and so on. And the other problem
is the "mounting" of the COB-INF directory. Although it's doable (at
least currently we think it's doable), it might get a little bit tricky
here and there.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/