cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release roadmap
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:49:04 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>>> IMHO this is too fast. We did not receive any feedback on the 2.2 stuff
>>> from any non-committer (only people working with committers). We should
>>> run through some release candidates first, which gives the users the
>>> impression of having something at least testable. If we want to push the
>>> final 2.2 release now and if the current trunk is feature complete, we
>>> should do a RC 1 release (not another milestone) and see how it is
>>> accepted. With M2 soon and final release only one month later I feel
>>> like flying blind ...
>> +1. let's have some more milestone releases and release candiates before we make

>> the first official release because all contracts that we establish with an
>> official release _are_ carved in stone. And as we know it takes a long time to
>> get rid of badly designed/implemented things again.
>>
> Yes, of course I agree with this in general, but personally I doubt that
> releasing a 2.2-RCx will give us more feedback (perhaps I'm too
> pessimistic on this).

there was at least one user who tried Cocoon 2.2 and asked questions about it on
users@c.a.o. Generally I think that documentation will make a big difference,
but well, maybe I'm too optimistic ;-)

> And to be honest, my intention of the statement to get 2.2 out this
> year, was a try to push things. I guess we all remember that set up a
> roadmap for 2.2 some time ago (when was it, at the ApacheCon EU?) to
> release milestones of 2.2 every 4 to 6 weeks and the final version in
> september/october 2006. So far we managed to release just one milestone...

yes, I know. I planned to push things more in October but some unforseeable
changes in projects forced me to change my schedule. But now, it seems that I
have more time :-)

> So, agreeing with your statements from above, let's release a m2 this week.

+1, I can help with the release
(http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/g2/1199.html) if you do it
on Thursday and/or Friday. We should also use the new Cocoon staging repository.
Jorg, what's the current status of it?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc