cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release roadmap
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 07:49:01 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke wrote:

>> IMHO this is too fast. We did not receive any feedback on the 2.2 stuff
>> from any non-committer (only people working with committers). We should
>> run through some release candidates first, which gives the users the
>> impression of having something at least testable. If we want to push the
>> final 2.2 release now and if the current trunk is feature complete, we
>> should do a RC 1 release (not another milestone) and see how it is
>> accepted. With M2 soon and final release only one month later I feel
>> like flying blind ...
>
> +1. let's have some more milestone releases and release candiates before we make
> the first official release because all contracts that we establish with an
> official release _are_ carved in stone. And as we know it takes a long time to
> get rid of badly designed/implemented things again.

Yes, of course I agree with this in general, but personally I doubt that
releasing a 2.2-RCx will give us more feedback (perhaps I'm too
pessimistic on this).
And to be honest, my intention of the statement to get 2.2 out this
year, was a try to push things. I guess we all remember that set up a
roadmap for 2.2 some time ago (when was it, at the ApacheCon EU?) to
release milestones of 2.2 every 4 to 6 weeks and the final version in
september/october 2006. So far we managed to release just one milestone...

So, agreeing with your statements from above, let's release a m2 this week.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/