cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Release roadmap
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 11:03:47 GMT
On 28.10.2006 12:37, Nathaniel Alfred wrote:

> -1 to put 2.1.x into *pure* bug fixing mode

> Selling to management another
> migration project before 2008 would be very hard, especially since
> the current 2.2 has new feature really interesting to us.

Something is wrong with that sentence I guess. I miss the logic: You
can't sell another migration, because the version potentially migrated
to has interesting features?

> So my proposal is simply use a different wording and to declare 2.1.x
> to be in "maintenance" mode.  Only bug fixing *and minor enhancements*
> will be applied and we continue to make 1-2 releases/year.

Isn't it just wording? It has always been the case that the old branch
has not been closed. If there is any interest in applying an enhancement
to an old branch, just do it. Nobody will prevent you from doing it. But
you simply can't expect from every committer to also do the back
porting. So any maintenance of the older branch is up to the individual
one still having interest in it. At the end interest will simply
decrease and the branch will be going to sleep - as it happened with 2.0.x.

Jörg