cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Improving display of exceptions in blocks framework - ResourceReader
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 10:28:39 GMT
Alexander Klimetschek skrev:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to improve the exception handling for the new blocks. The
> problem is that you don't see the exceptions thrown inside a called
> blockservlet. Apart from changing the BlockConnection to throw a
> CascadingIOException,

Fixed that. I didn't spent much time thinking about exception handling
in the blocks fw, so patches would be welcome.

> the ResourceReader must throw any IOException
> caught in generate() (line 349). This is currently not done because it
> looks like there are cases, where a failed generate should be silently
> ignored. The debug message says "Received an IOException, assuming
> client severed connection on purpose".
>
> Is this true? Or would it be no harm to throw the exception at that
> place to trigger the standard "Problem in creating the Request" page?

No idea why the code just swallow the exception. IMO it is a bad idea.
If there is any sources that throw Exceptions without meaning anything
with it, it should be fixed there instead.

I would assume that it fixes some issue but couldn't find any
information about it in the SVN log.

Anyone who know anything about it?

/Daniel