cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Writing and managing news releases (was Re: [RANT] The Cocoon website: move on, nothing is happening here)
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:48:19 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> ...But is there any need for the news item to be sent to the
>> live server immediately? I don't think so. A daily update will do just
>> fine. For now use the Forrest generated tar, or a maven generated tar if
>> someone sets it up...
>
> You're right, we don't have a need for immediate publishing, a few
> hours delay could be good enough. Let's see what happens with
> continuum, but in the meantime we could work as you suggest (assuming
> someone does write stuff, of course ;-)

For those interested Reinhard and I have made a small start on the
configuration of Daisy to manage news items in the 2.2 docs. The output
needs to be "prettied up" - but it does work.

Basically, create a new document of type "NewsItem" and publish it (or
get an editor to publish it for you). The seven most recent will appear
on the welcome page [1]

I've added a tagging system that allows filtered news items to appear on
welcome pages for "sub-sites" for each block. The tags field is free
form, you can enter anything you want. We can use this field to filter
news items.

At present there is only one tag that does anything. If you add "core"
to the tags your news item will appear on the "core" sub-site [2]

[I'm not too familiar with the intended use of the cdocs layout can
someone check I put this in the right place.]

Sorry I've not added news filters for all of the blocks or added the
"lazy consensus" date filter to the queries - no time today - maybe
someone can do this.

Ross

[1] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/g2/g1/g1/1213.htm
[2] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs-core/1270.html