cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RANT] The Cocoon website: move on, nothing is happening here
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:04:18 GMT
I wrote a reply to Bertrands post then read the thread and discovered
Reinhard is going to set up continuum. Seems like we have a volunteer
and since I'm only giving ideas not implementation time you'd all be
best to ignore the rest of this post ;-)

Ross

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> ...Which publishing tool to use? I don't care. Forrest does it well
>> (but it
>> does need a new skin,...
>
> Is there a way to republish only a few pages quickly from Daisy to the
> online site? Or how hard is that to implement?

A very good question - and one of the biggest problems with Forrest site
generation at this time. Right now it cannot be done. It could be
implemented, sure, but it is not easy, at least with my knowledge of the
Cocoon CLI and crawler. The problem is that the crawler will follow all
links on the page.

Daisy can output a recent changed list, perhaps this could be used to
limit the pages generated.

A solution that requires no tools work...

The Forrest zone is already building the site once a day as part of our
docs validation process. Why not just grab the tar, untar, svn up
(sounds like a script to me).

> Without going into a tools discussion, having a quick way to update
> just the homepage and the news (and maybe an aggregated blog feed)
> would help us be more active on those pages I guess. If I can add a
> news item in five minutes I'll do it regularly, if it takes 15 minutes
> it'll be much less often.

Fair point. But is there any need for the news item to be sent to the
live server immediately? I don't think so. A daily update will do just
fine. For now use the Forrest generated tar, or a maven generated tar if
someone sets it up.

It will mean that someone in the community will need to log in to the
Cocoon zone, execute a script, provide their SVN username and password
and logout. I can't think of a faster way without working on the tools.

Of course, the problem is who is the *someone*.

> Might simply be a case of the Forrestbot generating a subset tar.gz
> instead of the one pointed to by
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonWebsiteUpdate
> (http://forrest.zones.apache.org/ seems to be down right now, cannot
> check it size but I assume it's quite big).

No need to download to your local machine, do all the work in the zone.