cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RANT] The Cocoon website: move on, nothing is happening here
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:20:48 GMT
Ross Gardler said the following on 18/10/06 23:36:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

[news items]

Guys,

I wholeheartily welcome your ideas of news items and I fully agree with
Ross that they should be entered in Daisy directly. If Daisy can be
configured to auto-publish after a delay, that's great.

> Daisy can be used to create "blog like" pages that can be automatically
> brought together into a news page. I agree that it should be the home
> page, but Daisy would not limit the info to just this page. Perhaps 3
> items on the home page, and a larger news only page. Note that Daisy can
> also be made to create RSS feeds, but that's a "next step".

I was thinking right along these lines, so I fully agree.

> Alternatively, have the site generation pull content from peoples
> existing blogs. Forrest has a plugin for this (although it is pretty
> basic), I'm sure Maven can be made to do it. The problem with this
> approach is that there is no control over the content that is published.

I agree, I'd rather have a list of blogs of Cocoon committers/users than
pull content directly from their blog. This, however, is of secondary
importance. Let's focus on improving/extending the actual documentation
content first.

> Of course there are lots of other ways, but they involve new tools so
> I'm steering away form those.

Thanks for not going into tools discussions.

>> First I think we need some common idea about what is a news item. Some
>> suggestions would be:
> All your suggestions look just fine, I'm sure having an exhaustive list
> is impossible, but your list is a great starting point. I'm more

+1

> concerned about *who* will write these items and who will publish the
> site frequently. It really is a case of providing a login and password
> to a publishing tool after it is configured.

As said earlier: I volunteer to run the process to publish the site as
long as I don't have to do more than start a script, provide a login and
password and get clear error messages (preferably none at all) that tell
me where to look for the trouble.

> Posting to the list is just a step too many in my view. Why not put it
> straight in Daisy where it can be edited and published quickly and
> easily. Don't forget Daisy edits are already sent to the docs list.

True, as is pointed out earlier posting news to the dev list takes more
work because it needs to be copy and pasted into Daisy, while you can
enter it in Daisy straight away and be done with it.

> I support the above as a "small step", I think it may encourage more
> people into using Daisy a little.

Great points. Thanks.

Bye, Helma