cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Gianni <>
Subject Re: [HEADS-UP] Cocoon 2.2 and java 1.5 revisited.
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 19:43:57 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Does anything prevent us from having some blocks that require 1.5,
> while the core and "core blocks" (we might need to define which ones
> these are, but most of them are evident I thin) require 1.4?
Nope, except that it could be a pain for users, but after all it would
go this way in any case, I don't think anyone is planing to rewrite all
blocks to use typed collections, for-each etc.. before the 2.2 release.

Anyway I'm currently running a couple of 1.5 applications successfully
on 1.4 using Retrotranslater. Don't know if it works with cocoon : it is
not java 1.5, so it obviously works :)

Considering that it would take years before moving the current code base
to 1.5, and we could defer moving core as the last part, Retrotranslator
could fill the hole while our most conservative users consider the move
to 1.5.

We could experiment on a simple block to see if Retrotranslator works
correctly, and if it works agree on a plan on moving blocks to 1.5
progressively, moving core as the last part, taking enough time to be
realistic on our efforts and grant a smooth change.

Maybe this could be a way to gain consensus?

P.S. Java 1.5 also brings another advantage : the xml-apis contained in
1.5 is more or less the same we ship with cocoon (and since 1.6 is so
near, it will not change soon), and Xalan and Xerces have been
repackaged, that means that all the Shielding system is by far less
critical on 1.5. It's actually a big problem to have xml-apis in the
war, ever tried to use any JRE class writing or reading XML from inside
a flow or a cocoon component, like Properties.toXml? ClassCastException.
Just remove the xml-apis and xmlParsers-api jars, they are already in
1.5 in very similar versions, and everything seems to work correctly.

View raw message