cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: RFC: CForms + Dojo: the way forward
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 14:35:40 GMT
Lars Trieloff wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> as the individual JS files are rather small, the most costly part is
> requesting them from the web server, not downloading them. With an
> aggregated file, there is only one single request.
>
> I agree that it does not make sense to create a JS file per form
> because that would result in redundant downloads, so the only
> possibility is to have it configured at build time.
>
> What about creating a src/main/js directory where all contained *.js
> files will be aggregated into a single $projectname.js file?

That would create a central location for all JS files in the system,
that would go against the modularization in blocks.

What we actually need is a way for each block to expose its JS files (we
already have that with the "_cocoon/resources/*/**" matcher) and a "dojo
dependency file". The aggregation of all these files actually makes the
Dojo profile needed by the application [1] and can be directed to the
Dojo compressor.

This process can happen either at build-time (but requires an additional
step for users) or at runtime with the DojoReader you suggested, whose
first run would be quite costly but can aggressively cache its result.

Sylvain

[1] http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/buildscripts/profiles/

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net