cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [HEADS-UP] Cocoon 2.2 and java 1.5 revisited.
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 07:03:27 GMT
Ralph Goers escribiĆ³:
> 1. I don't see the point. There was a -1 that is unlikely to be changed.

I am providing more reasons as brain food. I think people can change his
mind over the time when more facts arises.
> 2. Since we will be distributing binaries with Maven - I would think
> that as long as all the Cocoon components are compiled with JDK 1.4
> and none of the core dependencies require more than that that things
> should be OK.  A Cocoon user who is OK with Java 5 is certainly free
> to use Qdox 1.6 (or whatever) in their build and at runtime -
> assuming, of course, that the component in question has maintained
> binary compatibility.
It is not going to work. AFAIK, maven does not care about java versions.
Hence, if the jar in the maven repo is being compiled for 1.5 we may
receive the tipical compilation errors for cocoon beking compiled in
java 1.4:

"class file has wrong version 49.0, should be 48.0"

Hence, because the cocoon 2.2 is tied with 1.4.2, nobody can move to 1.5 unless he maintains
his own cocoon or forks it.

I have been maintaining the libraries for long time and can tell that it
is not so easy as you are pointing out. Take as a sample the same qdox
lib, there are incompatibilities between releases. I am talking about
API changes or so. We should take into account that not each lib is as
perfect as spring or commons-lang.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.