cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Rhino (once more)
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:44:52 GMT
Hi Cocooners

Before I start: Sorry to be a PITA to bring up Rhino again. ;-)

Batik is starting to plan a new release and Rhino popped up in the back
of my mind. I went looking in your codebase to see what you did with
Rhino since I last checked. Turns out that Cocoon still lists Rhino as
under the MPL 1.1 in both Trunk and the 2.1.x branch. And that's clearly
wrong:
http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/download.html
http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/js/rhino/src/org/mozilla/javascript/Script.java

And as you know this whole thing is further complicated by the fact that
the NPL is currently de-facto an excluded license which means that
neither Cocoon nor Batik are allowed to distribute or simply download
(through Maven without alerting the user) Rhino.
http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#transition-examples-npl

Means both our projects would actually have to remove Rhino and make
sure they run without it.
http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#options

Cliff wrote about certain options in March on legal-discuss (Message-ID:
<c5e632550603241427y1e563dbdh9b0507a7ddfe9b5a@mail.gmail.com>). Nobody
followed up on that. And it looks like both our projects have ignored
the third-party licence policy so far concerning this issue. Any ideas
how to proceed? Shall we raise it again on legal-discuss? Has there been
any progress in trying to convinve the Rhino project to switch to the
MPL?

Jeremias Maerki