cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CForms: Upload Repeater
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 15:16:38 GMT

On 26 Oct 2006, at 15:56, Lars Trieloff wrote:

>>> This applies only to non-AJAX forms, I suppose.
>>
>> No, this happens with Ajax-enabled forms
>
> But in this case the repeater's add-button should only do an ajax-
> request and add the new contents behind the already existing
> repeater-rows. So I think the main problem is making the repeater
> AJAX-aware.

Repeaters are already Ajax-aware.
When you click to add a new row, the whole form is submitted, with
the repeater's action button id in the hidden 'forms_submit_id'
field. AFAICS, currently all form data is sent, but is not validated
on the server.

Turning on Ajax in the form results in the whole form being submitted
via Ajax techniques, a new hidden field 'cocoon-ajax=true' is
created, this is detected by the response pipeline to filter and wrap
any changes in the BrowserUpdate schema, which is used to inject
those changes into the form.

This is how it already works.
The trouble for my usecase though is that all the form fields are
submitted, when not all of it is 'needed' for the event to work
properly on the server.

I am trying to work out if it is safe to somehow filter out a bunch
of fields from this type of submit. Only sending enough data for the
action to work.

>>> Why do you want to change the behaviour? I think it is the common
>>> behaviour in all non-ajax-enabled upload forms, so I don't see
>>> the need. In your case you would, prior to uploading get the file
>>> names from all upload fields in the repeater that already have a
>>> value, store it in a hidden field, clear the original upload
>>> field, send it to the server and when the server responds, you
>>> will copy the file names from the hidden fields to the upload
>>> fields, right? What happens if JS is deactivated?
>>
>> Tricks like this are not possible (if I understood you right)
>> there is no API for setting the value of file-upload controls via
>> javascript. It is locked down as a security issue.
>
> Ok. I didn't know this

It makes things much more complicated ;)
But is very necessary .... otherwise you could programically copy any
file off a user's computer =:-O

regards Jeremy