cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XPatch support for maven-cocoon-deployer-plugin
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 19:22:42 GMT

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:34:19 +0200
> From: Leszek Gawron <lgawron@mobilebox.pl>
> To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
> Subject: Re: XPatch support for maven-cocoon-deployer-plugin
>
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>  Leszek Gawron (JIRA) wrote:
>>
>> >  I want to implement some more features for cocoon:deploy XPatching:
>>
>>  First, because of a lack of time I haven't had much time to understand in
>>  detail what your needs are. So take my concerns as what they are: a gut
>>  feeling.
>>
>>  I think we are about to overdo what a deployment mechanism (and XPatch) is
>>  about and can/should do for us. Whenver you extend the deployer keep in
>>  mind what Cocoon blocks at a sitemap level are about (polymorphism &
>>  inheritance) and that we can (and IMO should) backport the things that
>>  already work in the OSGi mode. Because of that I don't think it's a good
>>  idea to e.g. be able to patch any file at deployment time instead of only
>>  patching web.xml
>>
>>  After my holidays I will have a closer look at this topic and can give
>>  some more qualified feedback.
> Just a few examples of what can be currently achieved only by patching:
>
> - modifying a generated sitemap when testing a block (mvn compile
> cocoon:deploy jetty:run on a development block)

I'd suppose using own ones for such in the src/test path

> - tweaking store janitor

Should be adjustable by properties (dunno exactly what you wantto tweak)

> - configuring transient store max objects

Same as above: Property

> - configuring continuations manager

Again: Properties

> - you won't even be able to define a new cforms widget definition because
> they don't use the new service selector that allows to span components over
> several files.

So this cries for a patch ;-)

> While some things are trivial to fix some are not and all definitely need
> some committer attention. The problem with declaring widgets in other files
> is probably a year old.

Yes I think we are aware of the cform "new widget" problems. But what do
you mean by "committer attention"?

Ciao

- --
Giacomo Pati