cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven dictatorship and software parasitism (was Re: Maven info wanted)
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:12:36 GMT
Sigh, it seems that we are able to spend endless energy in discussing
stuff but aren't able to spend any energy in really doing something.
It will always happen that some people like technology/tool A while
others prefer B (and for any reason might hate A). Its always been this
way and this will never change.

Anyways, Maven is more than just the repository - we aren't using
everything (yet), but for example the archetypes are a nice way of
starting a project. The site generation with all the reports is imho
another big advantage.

Yes, Maven has bugs and some of them are really demotivating - the
qualitiy of the repository is not perfect and mistakes have been made
there (e.g. updating stuff in the repository without changing a version
number). But, all this is known stuff today - if you follow our
guidelines (check proxy settings, configure a mirror, use offline builds
etc.) then Maven works like most other tools: usually it works but in
some cases it fails.

We (and I know others as well) are using Cocoon 2.2 with Maven in
development for several projects without any major problems. All the
complicated build stuff is hidden, people just create a project with our
web archetype and develop their stuff. Works perfectly. (And yes, we are
using a company repository)

So, I'm happy to discuss this stuff at the hackathon if people want -
but I'm not very enthusiastic about it as imho time and energy could be
used in different places. Let's get this 2.2 release out *now*.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/