cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <>
Subject Re: Maven dictatorship and software parasitism (was Re: Maven info wanted)
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:09:16 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Sorry if this wasn't clear. I'm not missing anything, but in a large
> consumer project you need to carefully know and control what's used to
> build your software. Having artifacts downloaded from a remote public
> server doesn't allow for repeatable and controlled builds. Even more
> when the build/dependency management system itself self-updates from the
> remote repository. So although a remote repository is really convenient
> when you are developping (provided that the repository is available and
> that automatic updates of the build system don't get your team stuck for
> more that one day as happened to me), it's definitely not something good
> when a repeatable and mastered build is needed.

Using the public Maven repositories (Ibiblio) or one of it's mirrors is a
feature that most people use but IIUC not carved in stone. If you configure a
repository with the id 'central' and point to a server that is under your
control, you don't rely on the, given shaky, public mechanisms.

Another option is using a repository proxy. Since we introduced it, we don't
face any problems anymore because the person changing something fills the
repository automatically at the time when he is testing it.

Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo! Mail:

View raw message