cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven dictatorship and software parasitism (was Re: Maven info wanted)
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:09:16 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Sorry if this wasn't clear. I'm not missing anything, but in a large
> consumer project you need to carefully know and control what's used to
> build your software. Having artifacts downloaded from a remote public
> server doesn't allow for repeatable and controlled builds. Even more
> when the build/dependency management system itself self-updates from the
> remote repository. So although a remote repository is really convenient
> when you are developping (provided that the repository is available and
> that automatic updates of the build system don't get your team stuck for
> more that one day as happened to me), it's definitely not something good
> when a repeatable and mastered build is needed.

Using the public Maven repositories (Ibiblio) or one of it's mirrors is a
feature that most people use but IIUC not carved in stone. If you configure a
repository with the id 'central' and point to a server that is under your
control, you don't rely on the, given shaky, public mechanisms.

Another option is using a repository proxy. Since we introduced it, we don't
face any problems anymore because the person changing something fills the
repository automatically at the time when he is testing it.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc