cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven info wanted
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:55:02 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> Jean-Baptiste Quenot skrev:
>>> And FWIW I added an interesting topic for the Hackaton:
>>>
>>> See http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/GT2006Hackaton
>>>
>> -->
>> [Jean-Baptiste Quenot] Try to replace Maven 2 with Ant and Ivy
>>
>> You are of course free to experiment with whatever you feel like. But
>> IMO it would be to attack the problem from the wrong direction. The main
>> problem with Cocoon from a build POV, is that it is so huge and has so
>> many dependencies. This is the problem that we should attack.
>>
>> As we have discussed many times we should split up the core, so that it
>> only contains the absolute minimum and move everything else to optional
>> blocks. This would considerably reduce the number of dependencies for
>> users, and as long as the number of dependencies is reasonable Maven is
>> OK. We could also move the majority of the blocks to a "legacy" area and
>> remove them from the main build. For most Cocoon developers there is no
>> use at all to build all the +100 modules, it would be enough with the
>> core and a few other blocks. For the rest it is enough that specially
>> interested people and the Continuum integration build builds them, so
>> that we will see if we happen to break anything there.
>>
>> So IMO it would be better to invest our efforts in the *root* cause of
>> our build problems, i.e. decreasing the complexity of the dependencies
>> rather than trying to hack around them by spending even more effort in
>> using new build systems and forcing everyone to learn still another
>> build technology.
>>
> Big +1 - we should really stop discussing things over and over again.
> Let's use m2 and solve the real problems.

Yes, I agree completly.

We have invested a lot of time into making trunk build with M2. And don't forget
that it's much more than just compiling the thing.

We have two archetypes, one deployment plugin, the documentation which is
exported using Maven, a working integration build, reports and certainly much
more. Also don't forget that releasing a Cocoon artifact has become very simple.
And one last point: If you build Cocoon using some different build system I
think that we cannot forbear providing Maven 2 metadata files (pom.xml) because
many developers will ask for them.

Just my € 0.02 ...

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Der frhe Vogel fngt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.de