cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: Caching jx *without* flow
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 20:03:56 GMT
Niels van Kampenhout wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>> Please update your cocoon checkout to the latest trunk. Then build
>> cocoon-webapp, run it and point your browser to:
>> http://localhost:8888/blocks/cocoon-template-sample/view/caching3
>>
>> The template header is:
>>
>> <page xmlns:jx="http://apache.org/cocoon/templates/jx/1.0"
>> jx:cache-key="${cocoon.request.parameters.toString()}"
>> jx:cache-validity="${Packages.org.apache.excalibur.source.impl.validity.NOPValidity()}">

>> you probably may do the same with
>> jx:cache-key="${cocoon.parameters.toString()}" which will
>> automatically build up cache-key out of all cocoon parameters passed
>> to the template. Haven't tested it though. This means you probably
>> don't even need any additional code to achieve your goals.
>
> I see what you mean, and I agree that it would allow us to do what we
> are doing now with our custom code.
>
> BTW, we use Cocoon 2.1.8, not the trunk.
This should also work with 2.1

>> The only thing that's missing from HippoJXTemplateGenerator.java
>> functionality is the ability to exclude some parameters from cache
>> key. Anyway this looks like FS from the start:
>
> What do you mean by FS? False Security?
Flexibility Syndrome :)

>>  - if template makes use of all cocoon parameters they should be a part
>>    of the cache key,
>>  - if not - you shouldn't pass them instead of excluding.
>>
>> Please comment.
>
> These two statements are true, and exactly satisfy our requirements. You
> may have other requirements, though.
I was refering to jx:includeKey and jx:excludeKey parameters in your
generator. Why do you use it at all?

> What matters to me is this: in our projects we mainly use JXTG and XSLT,
> and (as far as I can see from a user perspective) with our solution the
> formation of the cache key is consistent between the two (cocoon
> parameters == cache key). This is a big plus in the fragmented world of
> Cocoon technologies.
I like the analogy. In order to fully utilise it we would have to go
further in similarities: JTGX object model in this case should be
constructed only with sitemap parameters.

automatic cache key from sitemap parameters + small object model = full
XSLT analogy. We could try this.

> Bottom line: we prefer different solutions and are both happy with them.
> Good thing we live in a free world ;-)
Agreed :)