cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niels van Kampenhout <n.vankampenh...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Caching jx *without* flow
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:57:16 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:
> Please update your cocoon checkout to the latest trunk. Then build
> cocoon-webapp, run it and point your browser to:
> http://localhost:8888/blocks/cocoon-template-sample/view/caching3
>
> The template header is:
>
> <page xmlns:jx="http://apache.org/cocoon/templates/jx/1.0"
> jx:cache-key="${cocoon.request.parameters.toString()}"
> jx:cache-validity="${Packages.org.apache.excalibur.source.impl.validity.NOPValidity()}">

> you probably may do the same with
> jx:cache-key="${cocoon.parameters.toString()}" which will automatically
> build up cache-key out of all cocoon parameters passed to the template.
> Haven't tested it though. This means you probably don't even need any
> additional code to achieve your goals.

I see what you mean, and I agree that it would allow us to do what we
are doing now with our custom code.

BTW, we use Cocoon 2.1.8, not the trunk.

> The only thing that's missing from HippoJXTemplateGenerator.java
> functionality is the ability to exclude some parameters from cache key.
> Anyway this looks like FS from the start:

What do you mean by FS? False Security?

>  - if template makes use of all cocoon parameters they should be a part
>    of the cache key,
>  - if not - you shouldn't pass them instead of excluding.
>
> Please comment.

These two statements are true, and exactly satisfy our requirements. You
may have other requirements, though.

What matters to me is this: in our projects we mainly use JXTG and XSLT,
and (as far as I can see from a user perspective) with our solution the
formation of the cache key is consistent between the two (cocoon
parameters == cache key). This is a big plus in the fragmented world of
Cocoon technologies.

Bottom line: we prefer different solutions and are both happy with them.
Good thing we live in a free world ;-)

Regards,
Niels