cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: Caching jx *without* flow
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:39:50 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 10:05 +0200, Leszek Gawron wrote:
>> Niels van Kampenhout wrote:

>>> Since Ard is on holiday until the GetTogether, I'll try to answer this
>>> question.
>>>
>>> The reason is, as Ard said, to make it less error prone. People easily
>>> make mistakes if they have to build a cachekey string themselves, en
>>> they also easily forget to actually put the jx:cache-key and
>>> jx:cache-validity attributes in the JX template. I am talking from
>>> experience!
>>>
>>> It also makes the code more readable/transparent/explicit, because you
>>> don't need the extra flow step anymore in many cases.
>> 1. You don't need the extraflow step even right now. jx:cache-key and
>> jx:cache-validity works no matter what controller was used.
>>
>> 2. The solution you are proposing is error prone. The jx object model
>> does not get narrowed only to cocoon parameters so you are still able to
>> use cocoon.session, cocoon.request.
>
> Hmm, that is why Ard wrote:
> "> > now, to var ck you append the things that is depends on
>> (like a request parameter, current week number, etc)"
>
> Sure one need to take care to add all request parameter the jx depends on to the sitemap.

> I do not want to judge which method is more error prone, both have their pros and cons.
>
>> 3. I hardly see the point to make any JXTG customizations if you can do
>> something like:
>>
>> <page
>> jx:cache-key="${Packages.org.apache.cocoon.template.CocoonParametersCacheKeyBuilder.buildKey(

>> cocoon.parameters )}" jx:cache-validity="${some validity}">
>> <.../>
>> </page>
>>
>> and
>>
>> public class CocoonParametersCacheKeyBuilder {
>>    public static String buildKey( Parameters parameters ) {
>>      // you probably need to sort cocoon parameters here so the order is
>>      // explicit
>>      StringBuffer buffer = new StringBuffer();
>>      String[] parameterNames = parameters.getNames();
>>      for ( int i = 0; i < parameterNames.length; ++i ) {
>>          String currentParameterName = parameterNames[ i ];
>>          if ( i > 0 )
>>            buffer.append( "&" );
>>          buffer.append( urlEncode( currentParameterName ) );
>>          buffer.append( "=" );
>>          buffer.append( urlEncode( parameters.getParameter(
>>                                    currentParameterName ) ) );
>>      }
>>      return buffer.toString();
>>    }
>> }
>>

> Hmm, maybe the documentation is outdated but
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/flow/jxtemplate.html state "When
> used inside flow, JXTemplate has access to Java and can therefore
> evaluate expressions like "java.util.Date()" or "java.util.HashMap()".
> This does NOT work when JXTemplates are used without flow."

NOT true. Even if you are not using flow JXTG makes use of Rhino's
(javascript engine) NativeJavaPackage. Have a look at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/blocks/cocoon-template/cocoon-template-impl/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/template/environment/FlowObjectModelHelper.java

I see that http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/flow/jxtemplate.html is
heavily outdated.

> Wouldn't that mean that the example would not work without flow?
>
> Further regarding the validity as I understand your example this would
> not allow to use an AggregatedValidity which would be extended for all
> <jx:import/>, or?
>
> Or could I do
> <jx:set var="validity" value="new AggregatedValidity()"/>
> <jx:set var="validity" value="${validity.add(importValidity)}
I do not remember the details but the aggregated validity is way more
complicated than it seems after a short glance. Just as in xslt you have
to touch the main stylesheet if you change any imported ones - otherwise
cocoon does not see the changes.

Could you give me a full example of what you want to achieve?

>> We could probably add this class to cocoon-template block and provide
>> some samples. Still - nothing needs to be changed.
>
> Yeah that would be awesome. Still I am not sure whether the forrest
> community would accept the inline solution. I understand your point
> though, but under the user perspective I am with Niels.

What I dislike most about the idea is that the caching is done
automatically without user knowing. Moreover it is done for all jxtg
runs, not only the chosen ones.

Maybe other developers could comment.