cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: Caching jx *without* flow
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:05:20 GMT
Niels van Kampenhout wrote:
> Leszek Gawron wrote:
>> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>> Hi all, hi Ard,
>>>
>>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=115194685214066&w=2
>>> "...
>>>
>>> Yes very interested.
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=446701
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-931
>>>
>>> Can you attach a patch to this issue or commit it to cocoon directly?
>>>
>>> Would be awesome.
>> Do I get it right:
>>
>> you want to patch JXTG to automatically build up a cache key from
>> cocoon parameters?
>>
>> <map:match pattern="foo">
>>   <map:generate src="foobar.jx">
>>     <map:parameter name="foo" value="bar"/>
>>     <map:parameter name="bar" value="foo"/>
>>   </map:generate>
>>   <map:serialize/>
>> </map:match>
>>
>> so cocoon:/foo gets cached with something like "foo=bar&bar=foo"?
>>
>> Why need a patch for that? After all you already have jx:cache-key and
>> jx:cache-validity.
>>

> Since Ard is on holiday until the GetTogether, I'll try to answer this
> question.
>
> The reason is, as Ard said, to make it less error prone. People easily
> make mistakes if they have to build a cachekey string themselves, en
> they also easily forget to actually put the jx:cache-key and
> jx:cache-validity attributes in the JX template. I am talking from
> experience!
>
> It also makes the code more readable/transparent/explicit, because you
> don't need the extra flow step anymore in many cases.

1. You don't need the extraflow step even right now. jx:cache-key and
jx:cache-validity works no matter what controller was used.

2. The solution you are proposing is error prone. The jx object model
does not get narrowed only to cocoon parameters so you are still able to
use cocoon.session, cocoon.request.

3. I hardly see the point to make any JXTG customizations if you can do
something like:

<page
jx:cache-key="${Packages.org.apache.cocoon.template.CocoonParametersCacheKeyBuilder.buildKey(

cocoon.parameters )}" jx:cache-validity="${some validity}">
<.../>
</page>

and

public class CocoonParametersCacheKeyBuilder {
   public static String buildKey( Parameters parameters ) {
     // you probably need to sort cocoon parameters here so the order is
     // explicit
     StringBuffer buffer = new StringBuffer();
     String[] parameterNames = parameters.getNames();
     for ( int i = 0; i < parameterNames.length; ++i ) {
         String currentParameterName = parameterNames[ i ];
         if ( i > 0 )
           buffer.append( "&" );
         buffer.append( urlEncode( currentParameterName ) );
         buffer.append( "=" );
         buffer.append( urlEncode( parameters.getParameter(
                                   currentParameterName ) ) );
     }
     return buffer.toString();
   }
}

We could probably add this class to cocoon-template block and provide
some samples. Still - nothing needs to be changed.