cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niels van Kampenhout <n.vankampenh...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: Caching jx *without* flow
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2006 07:33:59 GMT
Leszek Gawron wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> Hi all, hi Ard,
>>
>> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=115194685214066&w=2
>> "...
>>> Very easy to use, and less error prone than the flow part.
>>
>> Yes very interested.
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=446701
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-931
>>
>> Can you attach a patch to this issue or commit it to cocoon directly?
>>
>> Would be awesome.
> Do I get it right:
>
> you want to patch JXTG to automatically build up a cache key from cocoon
> parameters?
>
> <map:match pattern="foo">
>   <map:generate src="foobar.jx">
>     <map:parameter name="foo" value="bar"/>
>     <map:parameter name="bar" value="foo"/>
>   </map:generate>
>   <map:serialize/>
> </map:match>
>
> so cocoon:/foo gets cached with something like "foo=bar&bar=foo"?
>
> Why need a patch for that? After all you already have jx:cache-key and
> jx:cache-validity.

Since Ard is on holiday until the GetTogether, I'll try to answer this
question.

The reason is, as Ard said, to make it less error prone. People easily
make mistakes if they have to build a cachekey string themselves, en
they also easily forget to actually put the jx:cache-key and
jx:cache-validity attributes in the JX template. I am talking from
experience!

It also makes the code more readable/transparent/explicit, because you
don't need the extra flow step anymore in many cases.

Regards,
Niels