cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Explanation of the Cocoon directory structure
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:30:09 GMT
Hi Florian,

On 13.09.2006 23:27, Dev at weitling wrote:

> The Cocoon directory structure isn't very concise: many directories with
> the same or at least similar names at different locations, some
> directories with non-intuitive names (e.g. lib/endorsed: why endorsed?).

I can't agree. Cocoon 2.1, which you are probably using, has a quite
simple directory structure. Not everything might be obvious on the first
sight, but you might ask more specific questions to get it explained.

The endorsed dir you refer to is nothing Cocoon specific, but a general
Java 1.4 problem with XML libs:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/EndorsedLibsProblem.

> If there's a problem I don't know where to look, I don't know where to
> place my files, I don't know which parts are superfluous and and and...

There is some documentation available to get started. Furthermore you
can have a look into the block structure and adapt one, especially the
tour block, which introduces the most important ones:
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/demos/release/samples/blocks/tour/intro/docs/index.html
(also available in your local installation). Later one you should not
integrate your code into Cocoon's build, but integrate Cocoon into your
build.

Jörg