cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [GT2006] Already 50 attendees.. Early bird ends tomorrow!
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 21:07:39 GMT
Andrew Stevens wrote:
>> From: Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org>
>> Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:01:42 +0200
>>
>> I promise a beer to whom can guess the "smart" algorithm behind head
>> colors on the "conference chairs picture" that gave me green hairs
>> [1] ;-)
>>
>> People that wrote or saw the code are not elegible for the beer!
>>
>> Sylvain
>>
>> [1] http://bluxte.net/blog/2006-09/11-06-41.html
>>
>> -- 
>> Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net
>
> Well, my first guess (without looking at the picture) would have been
> to XOR the ascii values of the letters in each person's name, and use
> the resulting value as a lookup into a table of web-safe colours.  But
> having seen the picture I doubt that's the case as it'd give much more
> variation.
>
> So my next guess, given it makes a point of stating how many countries
> the attendees cover, was that the colour depended on the country
> corresponding to the domain in the email address they registered
> with.  However, I think I count 9 or 10 distinct colours and it only
> says 8 countries.  I suppose it could still be down to the top-level
> domain, though I'd have thought the ..com/.net/.org split would be
> enough in that case to not have such a large proportion of one colour.

Doesn't work: JB (Jean-Baptiste), Vincent and I were all registered from
the same PC.

> Along the same lines, perhaps it's determined by the language used to
> go through the paypal pages when registering?

Ditto.

> Or, thinking a bit more technically rather than socially, perhaps it's
> determined by searching the mailing list archives and/or CVS logs to
> see how many posts/commits the person has made over the last year, and
> the more active they were the stronger the colour?

Uh! That means Stefano is behind this system, with a crawler that spits
RDF out of all the electronic datasources ;-)

> Or maybe it's determined by the number of pages returned by a google
> search of the person's name plus "cocoon", as an estimation of their
> popularity/activity within the community?

168000 hits! Wow! But Carsten has 202000!

> It could be done randomly, though, just to give us something to wonder
> about - 80% get the default colour, the remaining 20% get the next
> colour from some other list.
>
> But probably it's none of these, though at least now you've got a few
> more ideas for next year's picture ;-)

It can also be a combination of the information input in the
registration screen (checkboxes checked, number of projects, etc).

> The more important question, however, is why didn't Matthias want to
> sit next to Judith?  What did she do to offend him?

Hmm... Or the other way around: is there a special attraction between
here and JB? Hmm... we'll have to sort that out in Amsterdam!!!

Sylvain

-- 
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net


Mime
View raw message