cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: XPatch support for maven-cocoon-deployer-plugin
Date Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:34:19 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Leszek Gawron (JIRA) wrote:
>
>> I want to implement some more features for cocoon:deploy XPatching:
>
> First, because of a lack of time I haven't had much time to understand
> in detail what your needs are. So take my concerns as what they are: a
> gut feeling.
>
> I think we are about to overdo what a deployment mechanism (and XPatch)
> is about and can/should do for us. Whenver you extend the deployer keep
> in mind what Cocoon blocks at a sitemap level are about (polymorphism &
> inheritance) and that we can (and IMO should) backport the things that
> already work in the OSGi mode. Because of that I don't think it's a good
> idea to e.g. be able to patch any file at deployment time instead of
> only patching web.xml
>
> After my holidays I will have a closer look at this topic and can give
> some more qualified feedback.
Just a few examples of what can be currently achieved only by patching:

- modifying a generated sitemap when testing a block (mvn compile
cocoon:deploy jetty:run on a development block)

- tweaking store janitor

- configuring transient store max objects

- configuring continuations manager

- you won't even be able to define a new cforms widget definition
because they don't use the new service selector that allows to span
components over several files.

While some things are trivial to fix some are not and all definitely
need some committer attention. The problem with declaring widgets in
other files is probably a year old.