cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Leszek Gawron <lgaw...@mobilebox.pl>
Subject Re: XPatch support for maven-cocoon-deployer-plugin
Date Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:00:15 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Leszek Gawron (JIRA) wrote:
>
>> I want to implement some more features for cocoon:deploy XPatching:
>
> First, because of a lack of time I haven't had much time to understand
> in detail what your needs are. So take my concerns as what they are: a
> gut feeling.
>
> I think we are about to overdo what a deployment mechanism (and XPatch)
> is about and can/should do for us. Whenver you extend the deployer keep
> in mind what Cocoon blocks at a sitemap level are about (polymorphism &
> inheritance) and that we can (and IMO should) backport the things that
> already work in the OSGi mode. Because of that I don't think it's a good
> idea to e.g. be able to patch any file at deployment time instead of
> only patching web.xml
What I really need to patch is web.xml and main sitemap.xmap (which is
generated for block testing).
Probably some entries in WEB-INF/cocoon/xconf are not configurable other
way than patching.

I know patching should be the last resort. Still I prefer to use cocoon
2.2 as is and patch it here and there than to not use 2.2 at all and
wait for all the issues to be resolved. After fixing some things lately
I was able to finish a prototype system that quickly went into
production. After I've experienced some annoyances with current build I
was able to feedback even more.

> After my holidays I will have a closer look at this topic and can give
> some more qualified feedback.
Superb. Looking forward to it.