cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Quenot <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven info wanted
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:11:43 GMT
* Daniel Fagerstrom:

> [Jean-Baptiste Quenot] Try to replace Maven 2 with Ant and Ivy
>
> You  are of  course free  to experiment  with whatever  you feel
> like. But IMO it  would be to attack the problem  from the wrong
> direction. The main  problem with  Cocoon from  a build  POV, is
> that it  is so huge  and has  so many dependencies. This  is the
> problem that we should attack.

Let me rephrase then:

[Jean-Baptiste Quenot] Proof of  concept: Building Cocoon with Ant
and Ivy instead of Maven 2

Is  that  better?  Clearly  the  Hackathon  is an  opportunity  to
demonstrate to  the Cocoon  developers that we  can have  a simple
non-intrusive dependency  manager, namely Ivy, replacing  Maven 2,
because as you mention very clearly we have a very huge beast with
many dependencies.  This is the core of the problem.

I'm working on Wicket besides  Cocoon and it doesn't exhibit those
dependency problems  because it justs depends  on commons-logging,
junit, and  servlet API.   That's a  whole different  story, there
wouldn't be much to gain from switching to Ant+Ivy there.

Deciding whether  it is worth  the effort or  not to do  that with
Cocoon, we'll  see next week.  We'll  only be able to  make a wise
decision once enough  people have watched how the  Ivy build looks
like.  And you  may be surprised how  easy it is to  switch to Ivy
for resolving the dependencies!
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana Qwerty