cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: Maven info wanted
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:26:44 GMT

On 28 Sep 2006, at 17:52, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> There is a good thing in Maven: the repository, where people can
> pick up

s/repository/concept of a central repository/

remember that repo1 and cvs.a.o were killing our builds initially,
plus the fact that most of the pom metadata in the beginning was
automatically converted from maven1 and thus quite crappy to say the
least. (there is still a lot of cruft out there, ever tried to
include hibernate in your project ?)

> With its POM and repository, Maven managed to create an amazing
> dictatorship on the entire OSS Java community. That buggy tool
> (because

you call it dictatorship, i call it a 'standardisation effort' (and
that's what you would've called it too had it worked flawlessly).

> yes, it is buggy) with no clear documentation is becoming a vital part
> of many projects. So vital actually, that it has endangered and
> damaged
> some of them.

Yes it's buggy, yes it's lacking in documentation and no i don't
understand either why some of the more crucial bugs are taking so
long to fix (or why there are so many of them surfacing after you've
scratched away some of the glossy paint).

With 'endangered and damaged' i suppose you're referring to Cocoon,
i'm curious to hear which other projects you know of that have taken
the same route (and beating) ?

I <snipped> the rest of your comments because it's getting late.
You're touching on many valid points, so i better save my energy to
debate them during the hackathon :-P

Jorg