cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter Hunsberger" <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Result] [Vote] Java 5 as minimum JDK requirement
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:16:19 GMT
On 8/15/06, Jorg Heymans <jh@domek.be> wrote:
> On 15 Aug 2006, at 16:01, Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>
> > I disagree.  Joerg has not given us any real reason why Cocoon 2.2
> > needs to run on any of these older platforms.  In order for a veto to
> > be considered valid it must be based on a real problem.
>
> He has, but it seems you're not accepting them :-P

With all due respect I don't think that is the case.  So far, the only
argument we have against using Java 5 is abstract: there might be
users who need to run Cocoon 2.2 on platforms that don't support Java
5.  No one has given any real reason why this would be the case!

> > I'll ask once more: if a company is so conservative with their
> > software upgrades that they are still running platforms that do not
> > support Java 1.5 then what possible reason would they have for wanting
> > to run Cocoon 2.2?
> >

> But this has _nothing_ to do with being conservative!  The impact of
> upgrading the app server platform site-wide, ie globally in case of a
> multinational, is huge when there are hundreds of apps running on it.
> This does not mean however that those apps individually cannot
> upgrade their cocoon version from 2.1 to 2.2 .

I've been one of the people in charge of systems strategy in a company
with over 40,000 people. I'm pretty aware of what it takes to move
forward in such an organization.  That's part of the reason I think
the argument is bogus.  Any company that can't move to a Java 5
compatible web server is many years away from using Cocoon 2.2.

> I'ld say we stop argueing about this and use our time more
> constructively to experiment with the retroweaver. I hear it has an
> ant task, integrating it into our build process should be a breeze then.

Personally, I think it would be not to have to spend time
experimenting with retroweaver or such in the first place...

--
Peter Hunsberger