cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Torsten Curdt" <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re: [Vote] Java 5 as minimum JDK requirement
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:29:50 GMT
> > ...now I am curious
> Well, one implication of where you are going with this is, "Is it
> appropriate to vote according to your employer's needs". My answer to
> that is, yes.  In fact, I'm certain that it happens all the time.

Oh boy! ...I probably should better stop participating in this thread then.
IMO PMC members should vote in the best interest of the project - not
in the best interest of their employers.

> If you are a consultant who works for various people at various times you
> will continually be adding features each of your "employer's" needs.  I
> see nothing wrong in using your "real world experience" to influence
> your votes.  What is not OK is for you to be directed by your employer
> on how to vote on issues.

There is a difference in adding and blocking stuff.

<snip/>

> OTOH, what if the statement is "It is OK to upgrade when BEA and IBM
> both have versions that support version nnn of XYZ and those versions
> have been available for at least a year"?   I would argue that this
> moves from the category of voting on code modification to voting on
> procedure, in which case majority rules and the veto can be ignored if
> the majority does not agree.

...interesting! So do I dare to ask: what is the veto statement in our
case then?

cheers
--
Torsten