cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: [Result] [Vote] Java 5 as minimum JDK requirement
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:49:13 GMT
On 15 Aug 2006, at 16:01, Peter Hunsberger wrote:

> I disagree.  Joerg has not given us any real reason why Cocoon 2.2
> needs to run on any of these older platforms.  In order for a veto to
> be considered valid it must be based on a real problem.

He has, but it seems you're not accepting them :-P

> I'll ask once more: if a company is so conservative with their
> software upgrades that they are still running platforms that do not
> support Java 1.5 then what possible reason would they have for wanting
> to run Cocoon 2.2?

But this has _nothing_ to do with being conservative!  The impact of
upgrading the app server platform site-wide, ie globally in case of a
multinational, is huge when there are hundreds of apps running on it.
This does not mean however that those apps individually cannot
upgrade their cocoon version from 2.1 to 2.2 .

I'ld say we stop argueing about this and use our time more
constructively to experiment with the retroweaver. I hear it has an
ant task, integrating it into our build process should be a breeze then.

Regards
Jorg