cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: [Vote] Java 5 as minimum JDK requirement
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:26:01 GMT
On 14 Aug 2006, at 15:48, Peter Hunsberger wrote:

> On 8/11/06, Jorg Heymans <jh@domek.be> wrote:

>> Just as much as i can't give a more compelling reason than i already
>> have, there is no compelling reason to do the switch either. The core
>> of my concern, _bluntly put_, was to limit our possible target
>> audience for the sake of being able to write enhanced for loops.
>
> The way any product or project moves forward is usually by small
> incremental changes; these should never be blocked unless there is a
> real reason.  In other words, the reasons for blocking a project from
> going forward must be compelling.  The reasons to move forward need
> simply to be that the project is better than before.

I think you're oversimplifying the situation here (and quite possibly
i'm overcomplicating it).

- A JDK requirement change is neither small nor incremental.
- The reason to move a project forward should indeed be that the
project is better than before, but not at all costs (read userbase).

Regards
Jorg