cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging in 2.2
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:40:28 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> The question now is, what do we use for logging in an avalon free
>> environment? Spring itself directly uses commons logging.
>> Please note, that I don't want to change all components we have to the
>> new mechanism now; but I would like to have our standard way of logging
>> for all new things which do not use avalon anymore.
>
> One problem with Tomcat/commons-logging combination is that you can have your
> logging configuration on per ClassLoader level, and tomcat's (IIRC)
> WebApplicationContext shares ClassLoader with all the servlets deployed within
> context. So any change to commons-logging configuration (e.g., set
> commons-logging factory to LogKit) affects logging of Tomcat component(s)
> itself, which is not desirable.
>
> Only way to fix it, I think, is to setup extra ClassLoader which then can have
> any needed commons-logging configuration. So that probably means that if we use
> commons-logging, it means Cocoon must always set up own ClassLoader.

Yes, this was one of the main reasons to implement the shielded class

> Anyway, I think we should not do any such changes for Cocoon 2.2 - it is better
> suited for Cocoon 2.3.
I don't want to change 2.2 as I tried to outline above; I want to have a
way for using a new mechanism *today* if I don't use Avalon. If we can't
come up with a better solution, we could use commons-logging anyway.

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/