cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: trunk light (was [RT] A new Forrest implementation?)
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:11:11 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hi all,

> I know we had the light/diet discussion many times but the forrest
> community has an emerging need for a very small cocoon. The forrest
> community is talking about a new forrest implementation that is not
> based on cocoon anymore. This is because we feel that we do not need
> *all* the features that cocoon provides to reduce the complexity of the
> forrest code it seems that the community would like to drop cocoon or
> alternatively slim it down close to the cocoon 1.x features.
>
> Like Bertrand suggested in the above thread we need basically:
> "So, a "Cocoon light" version that does just the following might be
> fairly popular among this category of users:
>
> -Sitemap-based XML processing pipelines
> -XSLT transformers
> -Pluggable custom Java transformers
> -Aggregation using the cocoon:/ protocol"
>
> How could both community work together to get a light version.
> Be warned the active forrest community is *very* small, so not sure
> how much help we can offer.

We have the same goal and we are working towards it. We have been able to reduce
cocoon-core, both in the size of classes (~ 600 --> the jar is ~1350kb) and also
in the size of dependencies (~ 10mb) and  there is even more possible (e.g.
moving Flowscript into its own block, move many of the available sitemap
components and modules into seperate blocks).

Please note, that currently there is _no_ CLI in trunk. I remember that there
have been some ideas floating around how to implement it for 2.2 but I don't
have any concrete pointers.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc