cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [Result] [Vote] Java 5 as minimum JDK requirement
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:12:11 GMT
Joerg Heinicke skrev:
> On 15.08.2006 17:28, Jason Johnston wrote:
>
>> I am interested (and I think the community needs to know) what
>> Joerg's criteria for approving an eventual move to 1.5 would need to
>> be, in some measurable way.  I'm sure he would agree that at some
>> point in the future moving to 1.5+ will be appropriate, but how will
>> we know when that time has come?
>
> That's indeed a very difficult question. And there is probably nothing
> measurable. I argued with the silent user base still using Java 1.4 -
> they will probably also not stand up and shout "Now we us Java 5, you
> can switch."
I know for sure that there is an even larger potential silent user base
that would use Cocoon 2.2 only if it is based on Java 5 ;)

No, honestly, we cannot base our decisions about what technology to use
from hypothesis about what a "silent user base" is supposed to need. We
can ask on dev- and user-list, we can base it on what organizations and
people we know does. We can base decisions on various research about how
large coverage a certain technology has. But we shouldn't base important
decisions on things we don't know.

Also, Apache is about community. If these large banks depend on Cocoon
(or other open source), without even bothering to have someone lurking
on the user list, their open source strategy sucks so bad that it is
questionable that we can help them anyway.

Even if Cocoon is free, there is a cost if you want to have any
influence in its development: participation.

/Daniel