cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Johnston <coc...@lojjic.net>
Subject Re: [Result] [Vote] Java 5 as minimum JDK requirement
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:28:07 GMT
Peter Hunsberger wrote:
> On 8/15/06, Reinhard Poetz <reinhard@apache.org> wrote:
>> If I interpret our voting rules correctly, the proposal has been rejected
>> because of the -1 vote.
>>

> I disagree.  Joerg has not given us any real reason why Cocoon 2.2
> needs to run on any of these older platforms.  In order for a veto to
> be considered valid it must be based on a real problem.

While I'm not personally interested in trying at this point to overturn
his veto, I am interested (and I think the community needs to know) what
Joerg's criteria for approving an eventual move to 1.5 would need to be,
in some measurable way.  I'm sure he would agree that at some point in
the future moving to 1.5+ will be appropriate, but how will we know when
that time has come?

So far I've seen the following rationales (please add any I missed):

* Spring supports 1.3, we're both frameworks, so we should follow.
* Can't see any significant advantages of 1.5.
* Some users (who may not be active on these mailing lists) are stuck
with older containers and cannot upgrade.

This last point is IMO the most relevant, but is still very abstract.
How do we measure how many of these users there are, who could not get
by using 2.1.x?  At what point do we say "enough is enough" and make the
cut; how many users can we "afford" to leave behind?  The answer
obviously can't be "none" since there will always be someone.  If a
workable tool like Retroweaver were available would that change these
criteria?

I'd like to hear Joerg's opinion especially on these questions, since
his criteria seem to be different than most others'.
--Jason