cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Java 5 as minimum JDK requirement
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:04:18 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:
>> > I still stand with my -1 vote. I don't want to be attacked personally
>> > for it. Sorry for it, but we don't agree here.
>> >
>> In that case I think it is time to put this discussion to rest. It
>> sounds like we have consensus for servlet 2.4 but not for Java 5.
>
> Why does that sound like retroweaver/translater is not an option?
>
> I haven't personally used it for such a huge project yet but obviously
> other projects are using it - successfully. For the API differences they
> provide a runtime jar btw.
>
> I would rather give that a try than adjusting our project to the speed
> of IT departments in large banks or organizations in general.

yep, that's a pity. I guess if we wait for these organziations we can switch to
1.5 in 2007 at the time when Java 7 will be released.

> ...and whoever thinks these "little things" don't make a difference in
> coding should listen to some of the ruby talks available on the net.
> Or even better - play a bit with it.
>
> There is a fine line between getting stuck in legacy and loosing users.
>> From the feedback we got so far it sounds people are happy with
> 1.5. If we now can satisfy the legacy with some bytecode magic...
>
> Please, let's do so!

Yes, I believe that would be a solution. The only question is *who* does the
actual work of introducing the retroweaver, tests it, starts a vote on it ...
any volunteers?

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc