cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: Voting policies
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:54:37 GMT
Peter Hunsberger escribió:
> Here's the real reason for my hesitation: I have to wonder, is the
> ability to run on older platforms really a valid reason for a veto? I
> realize this could be controversial, but personally, I'd have to say
> no.  If you need to run Cocoon on something that won't support Java 5
> then use Cocoon 2.1, it still works.  At some point the universe has
> to move forward and you can't continue to have support for all older
> platforms indefinitely.  I'd say for the veto to be valid we'd also
> need a _compelling_ reason why 2.2 (and not 2.1) needs to run on the
> platforms that don't support Java 5.

Well said, I will add another reason. Our jar dependency universe is
also slowly moving to higher the java versions. If we set java 1.4 as
the lowest version, we should not be able to move to newer version once
they migrate to java 1.5. Please note this have already happened with
some jar libs for cocoon 2.1., the worse is when we need to live with an
older lib version just because a java incompatibility and we we cannot
update even if we already know there are some bug fixes that our user
base needs.  :-(
A samples jars that are in this situation in 2.1. branch: icu4j and
there are others.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.