cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [CForms] Streaming out widget attributes?
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:51:15 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Yeah, but the point is about the "somewhere". Each element in a Cocoon
> pipeline is supposed to address a particular concern.
>
> Now over time, reasons emerge for everything to be useful everywhere,
> and we end up with a giant mix, where having different stages in a
> pipeline no more really make sense, and where each stage produces as
> much information as possible for the next one, for the occasional case
> where it may be useful, thus impacting the general performance just to
> handle these edge cases.

Ok, in general you're right; but I'm wondering why for example we added
a special handling for suggestion lists which is rarely needed and seem
to refuse to add a more general approach which helps others as well.
Streaming out the attributes of the field definition should in no way
change the performance as the attributes are empty in most cases anyway.

> Well, that looks like business logic to me, and can be handled by
> on-change events with Ajax.
I don't want to use ajax for this; i don't need a server request; I can
generate javascript which completly runs in the browser - which is much
faster and user friendly.

Carstem
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/