cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Voting policies
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 05:30:14 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Now we are getting nit-picky. This page lists three categories;
> procedural, code modification and package releases. Quite frankly, I
> don't think this vote has much to do with any of these because:
> a) procedural to me is a process - such as switching from ant to maven.
> One could argue from a warped point of view that changing a dependency
> fits in this category.
> b) code modification - no code is actually being modified by changing a
> dependency. (At least yet).

This "b" is the closest category, i reckon.

> c) package releases - well, it is pretty obvious that this doesn't fit.
>
> So to be honest, I think this is something the PMC has to decide which
> process to follow.

Yes. We need guidelines so that we can handle each
situation without needing to make up ad hoc policies.

> Having said that, I'd probably lean toward the more restrictive view
> just to be fair.
>
> Ralph
>
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> >
> >Which is the case, quoting http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html:
> >
> >"Votes on Code Modification
> >
> >For code-modification votes, +1 votes are in favour of the proposal,
> >but -1 votes are vetos and kill the proposal dead until all vetoers
> >withdraw their -1 votes."

I reckon that Joerg did the perfect thing. He felt strongly
enough to vote -1, and then provided an alternative.

It takes a lot of guts to vote -1 ... thanks.

If we think he is wrong then challenge his veto.
Otherwise go back to the drawing board and come up with
an alternative proposal to vote on.

-David