cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Quenot <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Release 2.2M1
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 09:12:23 GMT
+0

I  don't  think  it's  a  good   idea  to  run  Cocoon  2.2  using
"mvn jetty6:run".  Basically if you use  Maven 2 you have no other
choice than running a beta version of Jetty.

I   made  some   tests  (outside   the  scope   of  Cocoon),   and
encountered  problems  with Jetty  6  Beta,  which appears  to  be
shaky.   If you  feel  confident, then  at least  be  sure to  use
version >= 6.0.0beta17.

But the point is:  it's not up to the build  system to decide what
servlet container  needs to be  used at runtime.  Do  you remember
Sylvain [1]talking about Ant+Ivy one and  a half year ago?  He was
right: Ivy *just*  downloads artifacts in a  local repository, and
that solves 99% of Maven 2 problems.  Ivy does little, but it does
it well.   In our current project  we [2]switched from Maven  2 to
Ant+Ivy recently, and life is much better now.  We trust the build
system again,  and we are able  to run any servlet  container like
before.

The good  news is that  Ivy is  compatible with Maven  2 directory
layout,  and  is  able  to  read POMs.   In  short,  it  does  not
require reorganizing  the source tree  all over again: it  is very
unintrusive.
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana Qwerty