cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Don Brown" <donald.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Java 5 as minimum JDK requirement
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:56:32 GMT
Its Ant or command line task uses a bytecode scanner to detect Java 5
features and either replace them with their pre-Java 5 equivilent
(StringBuilder -> StringBuffer) or a third party library (Doug Lea's
Concurrency library).  In the more extreme cases such as annotations,
to be honest, I'm not sure exactly how it works, only that it does and
Stripes is proof of that.

FWIW, Java 5 has had a big impact on Struts 2 development that we feel
justifies the jump:
 * Cleaner API's with var args and generics
 * Annotations where externalized XML isn't necessary
 * Rich concurrency classes
 * Solid XML support w/o lib/endorsed
 * Type-safe enums to minimize unimplemented interfaces

Each of the features can be implemented in other ways, but taken as a
whole, they make your framework easier to use, understand, and
support.

Don