cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Ajax-block: what's the purpose of node.xml?
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:31:29 GMT
On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 18:07 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez schrieb:
> > Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >> The importNode() function in the insertion.js of our ajax block has a
> >> text for "node.xml" - what does this actually check?
> >>

> > It checks a IE-specific feature that allows to get the representation of
> > a node and its children as serialized XML document (as a String).
> >
> >> Now, it seems that in some cases this check evaluates to true which
> >> results in buggy element nodes which are unusable in IE.
> >
> > That was precisely meant for IE. What version are you using?
> 6.0
> >
> >> Can we remove this check?
> >>

> > IIRC IE had some issues with namespaces in the importNode function, but
> > I also see that this function has namespace-aware DOM function commented
> > out. So I don't know...
> >
> The interesting thing is that it seems to depend on the xml structure
> returned by the server whether node.xml works or not. And if node.xml
> works, the result is wrong. I used a workaround by switching to the
> _importNode function.
>
> So if noone really knows why we test there, I guess we can remove this
> test. If noone is against it I will remove it.

(IIRC...)

The reason _importDomNode is not used in IE is because IE will not
recognize/evaluate HTML attributes with special meaning such as 'style'
and 'onclick' etc (a well-known annoying problem, if you google a bit
around). Thus if the HTML returned from the server uses any of these
attributes, you'll quickly notice they won't work anymore.