cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans>
Subject Re: [RANT] This Maven thing is killing us....
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 17:29:49 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Especially the unpredictable results and the not reproduciable builds
> are imho a real problem. You build today, it works, you build tomorrow
> and it does not. And this occurs on some machines even if nothing has
> changed and even if you build in offline mode! Which is really really
> strange.
> Now, m2 is theoretically a very good tool :) It seems that most problems
> occur because of weak poms in the repositories we are using and that
> people are updating poms in the repositories without changing the
> version number. In addition we have problems with snapshots we are
> depending on as they are not available in public repositories.

it helps to zap your local repo every now and then. There is no way as
of yet to force maven to redownload poms it has already (MNG-1258). Poms
*are* being updated without version number increment even though they

> Without thinking about the bandwidth problem this might create, but what
> about settings up a Cocoon M2 repository where we host all our
> dependencies and this is the default repository you're using when you're
> developing with Cocoon.
> I'm not sure if this is a good idea, because of bandwidth and perhaps
> legal issues and it might create confusion when it comes to find out
> what's the difference between a version hosted in our repository and the
> one hosted on the official one is.

I just spoke to Jason, he mentioned that ibiblio will go away soon.

If we decide to host our own repo then we should do so *only* for
bandwith and connectivity reasons. Not with the goal of managing our own
version of other projects' poms.

View raw message