cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Supplied defaults from plugin
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:13:38 GMT

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:38:03 +0200
> From: Reinhard Poetz <reinhard@apache.org>
> To: dev@cocoon.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Supplied defaults from plugin
>
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>> >  about the catalogManager: yes, we could add an option
>> >  "useDefaultCatalogManager" and add the properties file and the catalogs.
>>

>>  The question might be is it a necessity to have one. If so and there isn't
>>  one in the deployed webapp the plugin should supply one (without the need
>>  to configure something).
>>
>>  What I'm thinking of stuff for WEB-INF is:
>>
>>  classes/CatalogManager.properties as well as entities/
>>      dunno whether this is just usefull or needed
>>
>>  web.xml
>>      this is indeed needed but still the plugin can supply a default
>>      one. If someone needs to change/add something on it, she/he can
>>      copy it to the regular path of the webapp project
>>      (src/main/webapp/WEB-INF)
>>
>>  log4j.xconf
>>      a default can be supplied here as well IMO.
>>
>>  properties/
>>      same here, at least core.properties in there because it is
>>      needed (Cocoon doesn't work without it).
>>
>>  WDYT?
>
> If you run the block deployer on a block (and not on a webapp), the resources
> in
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/tools/cocoon-block-deployer/cocoon-deployer-plugin/src/main/resources/org/apache/cocoon/maven/deployer/monolithic/WEB-INF/

> are used. Some of these resources use the StringTemplage template engine to
> set values dynamically

I know. I'm much mor interested on the packaging=war ATM. BTW: the
web.xml there in seems to me kinda outdated/incomplete compared to the
one used in the cocoon-webapp module. Is this intentional?

> (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/tools/cocoon-block-deployer/cocoon-deployer-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/maven/deployer/monolithic/MonolithicCocoonDeployer.java)

This doesn't help me much (as I've already discovered these things). I'd
like to get feedback whether you guys find it a good or bad idea to
supply defaults from the plugin for web.xml, log4j.xconf, and properties
(and maybe the entities stuff as well) if they are missing in the
webapp-source of a project. Just a simple +1 or -1 to the files mentione
above would help ;-)

Ciao and TIA

Giacomo

- --